Sunday, February 13, 2011

I LOVE PERUVIAN BANANAS

This is an informative post, because since coming to Peru, I have learned something very important that has kind of changed my life. If you don't know a lot about bananas, please read on and change your life too! Until coming to this country for the second time, I never realized that there was more than one kind of banana. Really. In the US, you go to the store to buy a banana, right? And when you think you're going to come home with a banana, you know what kind of banana you will get. Because you know that a banana is a banana. Is a banana. There are also plantains, but they're hard to find, and you're not quite sure what you'd do with them if you found them, anyway. End of story. Wrong. Apparently, though (upon researching Google) there are somewhere between 500 and 1000 varieties of bananas in the world. (I just wanted to be exact. Exact-ish.)
Now, THESE are bananas. Just a few kinds of bananas, though (note they're the size of a 5-year-old/small animal/at least the woman's arm in the picture). Some of the ones pictured below are what you use for frying--they're way denser than what you eat in the States, orange-ish yellow, and really sweet. REALLY sweet. So now, I found yet another reason to love Peru. This country is the reason why I now love to pieces the one fruit I'd previously written off as boring. I love life-changing moments.



No comments:

Post a Comment